Thursday, January 19, 2006

It's Official...


I am now in the Custom Invitation business. My neighbor, Rachel, who secretly covets all my scrapbooking supplies, asked me to join her in this venture a few months ago. It's kind of like when you see the kid who owns the basketball and you have to ask them to join your game...

Thanks to my uber-talented friend, Sara, for drawing this logo for us. We still need to add a web address - but that's after we actually create a website.

We just had our first gig - 35 invitations for the Cardiac Health Symposium. To quote Rachel "Sounds like a yawner to me."

I think we may have actually made $70 or so on the job. Of course, if you back out the actual man hours - it would mean that we made about $4.33/hour. While that is more than I made making clown cones at Baskin-Robbins in 1986 - I don't think that this is going to be a fast-track to the Millionaire Club. But we can chalk this one up to learning experience.

Things I have learned:


  • An HP Photosmart printer is NOT the correct printer for a high-volume utra-thick metallic cardstock job (but if you leave the printer settings for Automatic paper - you get a really cool grey ink color over silver metallic paper - probably couldn't have produced that effect if I had meant to do it that way)
  • You can charge 3.50 per invitation and a corporate client won't laugh at you
  • Some people have no idea how to word an invitation - thus the need for professionals like us
  • My children don't really care about the Cardiac Health Symposium either... they just want to play Candyland NOW

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cat - good luck with your new business venture :) I've done invitations as favors for family and my sister and I are putting our heads together to come up with some sort of sbr business this year. We have no idea what yet!
P.S. You could probably charge $5 each for corporate clients

Owl at Home said...

It may not be a huge amount per hour, but it's a start. Congrats on your new venture!