
Taryn woke up this morning and said "Mommy - it feels like there are butterflies and frogs jumping in my tummy" I could have told her honestly... me, too.
The first day of school for me was always filled with anxiety, anticipation, excitement, and fear. I was trying to minimize those feelings for Taryn. We had the outfit picked out - for 2 weeks - so that was a no-brainer. She got her sassy new haircut last Friday. We've had her backpack and school supplies for nearly a month. We were prepared!
But our best-laid plans went quickly awry when I discovered that I had underestimated the chaos of the school parking lot on the First Day. Add to that the fact that the exact starting time of school was never clearly obtained... they apparently assumed that all of us former Afternoon Kindergarten parents would automatically know that school started promptly at 9:00 AM - and not 9:08 like we had thought. Oops.
Talk about a train wreck. Instead of gleefully skipping to the playground like she had planned, she opened the door and 24 seemingly strange faces were staring at her. She knew a lot of the kids - but at that moment, she wouldn't have recognized her own sister. She did what I would have done (and still long to do at times) she bolted across the schoolyard, screaming "I want to be homeschooled."

What can a mother do at that point? I reasoned with her. I pleaded with her. I tried the COUNTDOWN (you know... "You will comply with my request in 5-4-3-2..." you get the picture) But my best parenting tricks were falling as flat as feathered hair in a Mississippi rainstorm. Suddenly my brain kicked in and I went to the classroom to get her best friend. Emily was able to talk her off the ledge and in they marched - Taryn subtly pushing Em in front as they entered the classroom to minimize the peering eyes. Crisis averted. Phew.
I wasn't expecting the freak out. But it wasn't too bad. And I take total responsibility for arriving late. Tomorrow morning - we're walking - 35 minutes before school starts. It's destined to be a better day.
2 comments:
BWAAA HAAA HAAA! Good for T for facing her fears. Friends are good for that. The pics are adorable, btw. Love the sassy, non-flat, non-feathered, non-stuck-in-a-MS-rainstorm, 'do. You crack me up!
Awww, poor thing! Sounds like she's off to a great start now, though.
Post a Comment