Thursday, November 03, 2005

{regarding jane}


"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife."

So begins my FAVORITE novel of all time.


I have never done a book club before. When my neighbor invited me, I was skeptical... I didn't have time to read a whole book... but then I saw the list. And Pride and Prejudice was on that list. The decision was much easier than I thought.

Better and better... I get to host tonight for my beloved Pride and Prejudice! If only I had the right gown. No matter, jeans and my favorite pink t-shirt will be fine with Jane, to be sure. No one says things better than Jane - of that I am utterly convinced. I must love it so because I fancy myself to be rather like Miss Elizabeth Bennett, not the beautiful one, but the quick-witted one with a fierce (but tempered) tongue and a love of the wild, untamed hills. I think I am destined to die a hopeless romantic.


To this question his daughter replied only with a laugh; and as it had been asked without the least suspicion, she was not distressed by his repeating it. Elizabeth had never been more at a loss to make her feelings appear what they were not. It was necessary to laugh, when she would rather have cried. Her father had most cruelly mortified her, by what he said of Mr. Darcy's indifference, and she could do nothing but wonder at such a want of penetration, or fear that perhaps, instead of his seeing too little, she might have fancied too much.

I hope we have some lively conversation... I am most certain there will NOT be dancing... but that's okay. I checked out the soundtrack from the library, so there will be period music... and tea and cakes!



4 comments:

souper said...

Sounds like you are going to have fun......I can be YOUR Mr. Darcy if you would like... :)

Anonymous said...

That sounds lovely! Have fun!!

Lara Neves said...

Sometimes I hate book club, and other times I really enjoy it. I wish we would read Pride and Prejudice, I love that book, too, and haven't read it in a while. Glad your Tale of Two Cities month is over anyway!!

Anonymous said...

Cat -- I used to be in a book club, but got frustrated when I would have to read a book I didn't enjoy. Time is too precious to spend. Now I read scrapbooking magazines, cooking magazines and an occasional book. Just finished reading The Devil Wears Prada. Okay, it's not Pride & Prejudice, but it was a great form of escape.

Hope you're having a fabulous weekend!

Signed,
Cats_Secret_Sister